The first day of 2017 has arrived and the new year has begun with some seriously restless feet and a suitcase desperately calling my name from atop a dusty wardrobe!
This year, unlike many before, I didn't set myself a typical new year's resolution. In the past I've based many a resolution on ending hard-to-break habits or beginning new hobbies, lifestyles or mindsets. I can't recall succeeding in many of the resolutions I've made in the past, often giving in or giving up (or simply forgetting) through lost motivation, little spare time, or one of a hundred other reasons. (And I'm certain I'm not the only one.) Perhaps, there's just way too much pressure with new year's resolutions to make these changes as soon as the clock strikes midnight. That, or I'm just too lazy.
With that said, instead of aiming for something that I probably won't be excited about past the first month of January, I decided to update my bucket list and set some new travel goals to work toward in 2017 (and beyond). Sure, I've set my sights on something I already love doing, but there's never any harm from seeing more of the world.
Last year (2016), I went on some amazing trips and crossed many incredible experiences and sights off my list. I worked in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as an Online Editorial Intern for three months and I parasailed in Bali with one of my best friends in February. I snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef and flew over the Coral Sea in a helicopter on a solo trip this past July! And, in March, I finally made it to a country I've been longing to visit for as long as I can remember - Cambodia!
After reminiscing over my travels of 2016 and marking them off my travel bucket list, it seemed only fair to add a few more things to my list that someday I might also have the opportunity to cross off. So here's a small selection of my newest additions:
Snow & sea adventures
• Snorkle at Ningaloo Reef, Australia
• Swim with the pigs in Exuma, Bahamas
• See polar bears in the wild
• Swim in the Sua Ocean Trenc, Samoa
• Cruise the Greek Isles
Land & air adventures
• Helicopter ride over New York City, USA
• Take a train ride through the Sri Lankan country side
• Balloon ride over Cappadocia, Turkey
• See the Aurora Borealis
• Roadtrip through New Zealand
Landmarks & scenery
• Karijini National Park, Australia
• Nasir al-Mulk Mosque, Iran
• Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, China
• Sagano Bamboo Forest, Japan
• Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
Seasonal, events & holidays
• Cherry blossoms in NYC/ DC, USA
• Attend a lantern festival
• Attend a Holi festival
• Cherry blossoms in Japan
• Spend the 4th of July in the USA